Farm Fresh Rhode Island is sponsoring a fun contest to celebrate the harvest and preserving. It is taking place on Saturday, November 7, the first day of the Wintertime Farmers Market at the Hope Artiste Village. And, who, we ask, does not like a pickle? So what are you waiting for? Read on and sign up!
From the Farm Fresh RI website:
Rhode Island not only has many wonderful farmers, but we Rhode Islanders also have a wealth of homegrown knowledge about how to turn fresh foods into jarred and prepared delights! We’ve survived winters in New England for more than a few years. From raspberry jams to Johnny cakes, from peach pie to pesto, local talent needs to be exposed – and this November it’s the picklers’ turn to shine. We hope the pickle contest will not only inspire non-picklers to try pickling—but it will also promote the wealth of good food that grows in Rhode Island. Plus, a great way to start off the winter season is with a zesty taste of the bountiful autumn.
How to Enter:
- Register by October 31 with your name, category, and what veggies will be local in your entry.
- Let us know which farm grew your veggies if you can (or if they’re from your own backyard).
- Everyone – chefs, schools, home cooks, gardeners, market-goers and more – is encouraged to enter.
- First time picklers encouraged!
Judging Location and Time:
- Opening day of the Wintertime Farmers’ Market – Saturday, November 7, 2009 at 12pm at Hope Artiste Village in Pawtucket.
- Six expert pickle tasters will work to decide which pickle is best. Winners will receive a unique, handcrafted basket of local goodies as well as the honor of being Rhode Island’s Perfect Pickler. There is one track for Chefs and another track for Home-batch.
- By 1pm we will know the finest pickle makers in all the (Rhode Is)land.
- Best of luck!